According to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development HUD, lead is a highly toxic metal that may cause a range of health problems, especially in young children.
When lead is absorbed into the body it can cause damage to the brain and other vital organs like kidneys, nerves, and blood. Lead can also cause behavioral problems, learning disabilities, seizures and in extreme cases death. Symptoms may include headaches, stomach aches, nausea, tiredness, irritability, and children may have no symptoms at all.
Lead base paint can be found in homes built before 1978. Even though lead paint is no longer in use lead poisoning still affects 535,000 children across the nation, according to the Office of Lead Hazard Control and Healthy Homes.
Based on reports from the EPA, houses built prior to 1940 have a 71 to 100 percent chance of lead paint being present. Homes built between 1940 to 1959 the range was 64 to 92%, and for homes built between 1960 and 1977 have 48 to 76% chance a lead paint being present.
If you are purchasing a home built prior to 1978 there is a good chance lead paint is present. ICHI will perform a lead paint swab test, in three different locations. This test is meant to detect the mere presence of lead it is not a quantitative lead test. If your test is positive, we can assist you in recommendations.